question

kle11495 avatar image
kle11495 asked ·

Sending SMS using API gives error code MSG-242 "The requested feature is not available"

Good Afternoon,

My goal is to send an SMS message using the API to a user inside our recently created sandbox environment and I have already added a couple of phone numbers for users.  However, when I tried to send an SMS message using the interactive API, I will get the error code MSG-242 "The requested feature is not available".

I have tried this using the sandbox's main number and other phone numbers that I have assigned to users.  They are also listed as valid numbers when I call the api for phone numbers (  /restapi/v1.0/account/{accountId}/phone-number ).

I have also tried to use RingCentral on my Desktop and sending a message in the sandbox environment. This results in "Your extension does not support external text messaging. Please contact your account administrator".

Calling the Get Extension Phone Number List API (  /restapi/v1.0/account/{accountId}/extension/{extensionId}/phone-number ) shows that every account only has CallerID under the "features" section.

I have also given the SMS permission to the app.

How would I fix this?

topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
anton-nikitin avatar image
anton-nikitin answered ·

Can you provide a request ID (which is returned in "RCRequestId" header in response to your SMS sending call? Or let us know which phone number you are trying to send SMS from?
3 comments Share
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Here is the request ID for an SMS send that I just called, 79d84324-a7eb-11e8-8cad-005056bb26b9.

I used the main company number, which is +14242299543, and then I tried to use a user number, +14242140970.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Well, what I can see is that these numbers are not properly registered with SMS provider at the moment by some reason. I will ask our OPS team to check and fix. Stay tuned.
1 Like 1 · ·
Thanks for looking into the problem.  Are there any status updates?
0 Likes 0 · ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.